I recently bought the new Fujifilm FinePix W3, it a nutshell its a camera with stereoscopic lenses (see below) which means you can shoot 3d photography and hd footage. It doesn’t stop there though, on the back of the camera you have a 3.5-inch glasses free 3d display. Without a doubt the coolest gadget I’ve ever bought.
One thing that surprised me was the format in which the W3 saves stereoscopic images, the file extension is called .mpo and I can’t say I’ve ever heard of it. I was expecting it would save as a stereo pair .jpg or .jps which would be easier to view and edit on a regular computer display.
It turns out there are a few programs out there that will convert .mpo to .jpg, but not that many. So i decided to look into the possibility of converting in actionscript. Because the .mpo format is basically multiple jpgs saved within the one file it turned out to be pretty straight forward. Building on Thibault Imbert’s work on jpg decoding I simply wrote a few classes to parse the .mpo into separate jpg byteArrays and then output the result as a stereo pair or a anaglyphic image.